The webster definition of AGE is: the length of time that a person has lived or a thing has existed.
I recently turned 41 years old.
Some of the experiences I have had in my life over the past 4 decades have, both positively and negatively, defined who I am. Some of these things were not easily seen as learning experiences, but in retrospect, each one of them played a role in shaping my mind, body, and soul. What I have learned the most….is that for every cloud there is ALWAYS a silver lining.
41 experiences that define who I am:
- Didn’t qualify for a travel ball team
- Named All-American as a shortstop
- Failed a Writing Assignment in Mr. Eckley’s English class
- Published a Book
- Was physically unable to finish a race
- Ran 6 full marathons
- Applied for a job and didn’t get an interview
- Earned a highly effective rating for my teaching job
- Played on a coed soccer team when I was 9, the boys wouldn’t pass me the ball
- That led me to softball, which eventually landed me scholarship money for college
- Had to give up a trip to Spain because I was injured
- Hiked Machu Picchu
- Applied for a Teaching Award in Social Studies and got rejected
- Named Technology Teacher of the Year for my district
- Denied permission from my superintendent to travel to China
- Have traveled to 21 countries
- Took a job at a gym to lose weight and ended up working so much I gained weight
- Found CrossFit and lost said weight
- Had my wallet stolen from my car
- Had good insurance…Thank god for insurance
- Got reprimanded for a bad attitude by my softball coach, was benched for a while
- Improved attitude, earned starting position back, made the winning play in the first televised World Series game
- My brother wound up in trouble for a long period of time
- He wrote me letters and I learned a lot about him through those words
- Went for a bike ride with a friend, got a flat tire and had to hitchhike to nearest bike shop
- Met a super friendly redneck guy with a big truck who didn’t kidnap me
- Was interrogated (by armed Israeli soldiers) at the border crossing between Jordan and Israel
- Made a really good friend in our bus driver who averted the crisis
- Lost my dad to a heart attack
- Mom has recently shared many stories about him that I never knew…nostalgia is awesome
- Tore my ACL, MCL, and both Meniscus doing a power clean, thought I’d NEVER clean again
- Last week power cleaned 140 pounds multiple times
- Couldn’t drive or walk for 4 months
- Found out who my real friends were when they created a google calendar to car pool my ass around
- Had to do over a year of PT, which was painful, costly, and annoying
- Made some really great friends at that PT clinic
- Couldn’t participate in CrossFit comps in 2015
- So then Brian asked me to judge one at CF Unlocked…and that’s where I met Jason
- Was told I should limit my exercise to yoga and swimming ONLY
- Took up yoga and swimming….and hated both
- Became a yoga instructor…..
And so here I am…..enjoying all the silver linings of my life.
What is YOUR silver lining?